Friday, April 13, 2007

The future - self development and such...

Well now that I’ve provided enough nicknames for myself and related the life story of our family pet, I guess I’ll down to business: the purpose of this blog. In all honesty, I only updated because I didn’t want to virtually snub Roohi. But I have decided to use this blog for self-development. What self-development could that be? (I know right? I’m great just the way I am)

Well in my line of work (makes me sound like a mobster), writing skills are about as up there with schmoozing skills. The sorts of things I write vary from day to day; it could be something as simple as drafting correspondence for the Director to drafting options for new legislation. And when you’re only practicing your writing skills at work, well it doesn’t really give you a chance to try out variations, to test your skills, or really just to grow. Now I don’t ever plan on being a professional writer (unlike my other half who is a very talented writer – you know who you are!), while my profession requires that I be a writer. So I want to develop my skills and that is what this blog shall be about. I do want to be productive.

But here is my concern – I have no direction. I don’t know what this blog is going to be about. Anyone who knows me (well) knows that small talk is not my forte. Chatting about the weather and such bores me if I’m the one who has to initiate it. Tell me it looks cloudy outside and I can talk for hours. But when I have to think up things to say, I’ll pretty much respond by taking a nap instead. Now I know the easy default is to talk about yourself. Again – I’m not exactly Nelson Mandela here. My life isn’t all that interesting or exciting. And I don’t want to resort to talking about conflicts in my life in the hunt to find something entertaining to write about. I don’t mean to pass any judgments about others who may do this, but it’s just not for me.

So now I pose a question to the 3-7 readers I have…what should I write about???

4 comments:

Roohi said...

Write about what it was like growing up in Brantford!

Seriously...I wanna know! I think it would be an interesting post!

AKA said...

Now a post about not knowing what to post, is a post. The worst thing to do would be to put a label your blog. You are an uber-interesting person who can rant and write with the best of them.

Can I list your blog on my blogroll?

BanikaB said...

Hahaha Roohi, your request may be granted? I dunno how to sum up my life there in a post but I shall try.

AKA - Of course you can list me on the blogroll! Being listed there is like joining the popular crowd in high school! And i'm no Übermensch with cool stories. I just need some ideas here people!

Anonymous said...

Write about me of course. Honestly. You need to think better.

Me.