Wednesday, January 09, 2008

It's a thing...

In a conversation with my fiancee, I had to use that phrase to explain my piont - It's a thing!

What was I explaining? Food. Well an idea of food at least. I have been ruminating on an idea for a while and I finally decide that this idea had best become a theory and part of that process involves letting people know the idea, so it can take hold as a theory. And what, exactly, is my theory on food, you ask? It's a thing...you'll know what I mean in time.

I believe that everyone (Martha Stewart included) has one food or meal or snack that they will eat, for the pure enjoyment of eating it, but will never, ever, offer it to anyone else. It's a food that they keep to themselves, not beacuse it's too good to share with anyone else. Because it's too embarassing to share with anyone else. There are just some things that you eat or the way you eat them that you can do privately, without anyone knowing and it makes it fun or enjoyable, but the idea of sharing that with someone else would be - well, could be - embarassing!

You just don't know how they would take it. Maybe they'd laugh at you, embarassing you for the choice of food you have secretly indulged for years. Maybe they'd make a face (much like the face I make when I see people eating tuna), again embarassing you for your excitement over the food. Maybe you just don't know how they'd take knowing that this is what you actually look forward to eating when you're alone - and the potential embarassment is enough to keep your mouth shut. But whether you share it with others or not, you know it's there.

My fiancee didn't quite understand what I was talking about. I had to resort to my tried and true phrase of, 'It's a thing!" - cause it is! It's a thing that people have and people do! To which he politely said, "Okay". He always was an accepting one.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to let the world, or at least the handful of my blog readers, know exactly what my "thing" food is. Sort of because it's linked to a elementary school incident where I ate a large quantity of one food and have never quite managed to live down the reputation (thank goodness no one I know now talks to my elementary school friends!). Maybe in time I"ll share it with others...maybe if others share their food with me. But know that even if you don't want to, you're not alone. It's a thing we all have.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have a secret food...maybe I'll remember when I'm actually doing it...but I do like to make "cheesecake" by putting cream cheese and strawberry jam on a bun and warming it in the microwave. I also used to really love margarine and jam sandwiches, but I didn't hide that. A friend told me about margarine on soda crackers. I like to sneak handfuls of cheese while I'm shredding it for pizza. There's a lot of things I do with food...but I don't mind sharing it with you or anyone else. If I come across my "secret food" I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I would buy Hamburger Helper or the cheaper version of it and then eat it all by myself watching TV after school even though it's supposed to serve four or six. Sometimes I would add meat and sometimes I'd just make it without any meat. I would make sure it was really saucy though. Sometimes I would add other things to it like hot sauce and/or vinegar...whatever I was in the mood for that day.

I don't do that anymore, but now I'm craving some!

BanikaB said...

Poof - Interesting take on cheesecake. My family also ate the jam and margarine sandwiches - esp when we were younger. We now fondly refer to them as "Childhood Sandwiches". No explanation is needed when someone says they're making that.

Anonymous - Though I'm not a Hamburger Helper fan myself, I feel as though you understand what I'm saying. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I was once really into bbq flavored peanuts. I would buy bags of them and hide them in my side table drawer. It got really bad at one point. I was living off them. The odd thing was that and no one realized or found out about it. At the time I was living with 8 ppl in the house and no one noticed that my drawers were full of bbq flavored peanuts.

A word of advice, having a secret snack after you’re married doesn’t really work… you should try and break it to him slowly, so that he doesn’t really realize that you’re embarrassed about it. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i hide pringles and chocolate sandwich squares in my room.

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooo curious as to what this food is...and the one from elementary school. Personally I love the $0.33 Ramen noodles and bagels with cream cheese and walnuts. And candy corn at halloween.

BanikaB said...

you know me. - I'm also surprised no one smellt them on your breath! Very impressive, though not quite nutritional.

jimjim - if there are two things to hide in your room they are chocolate and potatoes!

Ruby - haha! This elementary school food is still brought up by the girls on my baseball team when I go back home. I want to live it down!!! And walnutty cream cheese - it could be marketable!